Unoccupied property insurance

Keep your property safe and secure even when you are not there with an unoccupied property insurance quote from Mastercover.

Compare quotes on Unoccupied Property Insurance
from the UK’s biggest insurers

If you’re planning on leaving your home or property unoccupied for any length of time, you will need to make sure that you have the correct level of unoccupied property insurance in place for your absence. Unoccupied property insurance protects you in case something happens to your property whilst you are away, such as flood, fire or theft. Common reasons for taking out unoccupied property insurance include waiting for the property to sell or keeping the property safe whilst the owner is away or in hospital. Because unoccupied properties are considered much more vulnerable than occupied properties, this type of insurance does generally cost a little more than standard home insurance, and many policies do not cover your property against malicious damage.

Do I need Unoccupied Property Insurance?

If you are leaving your property unoccupied for longer than two months, it is likely that you’ll need to take out an insurance policy in addition to your normal home insurance because most insurers will not over a property that is left empty for more than 60 consecutive days. This could leave you vulnerable and out of pocket should something happen beyond your standard policy’s time limit. Whilst your existing home insurance provider may agree to insure your property whilst it is empty, the coverage is likely to be restricted beyond that 60 day threshold, so it’s still worth taking out a separate, more specialist policy.

What am I covered for?

Different unoccupied property insurance policies are different and will cover you for different scenarios, so make sure you read all of the fine print before taking out a policy. Generally, however, these policies cover:

  • Storm
  • Flood
  • Fire
  • Theft (restrictions may apply)
  • Property owner liability

How long can I take a policy out for?

Standard home insurance policies are typically one year long, but unoccupied property insurance is much more flexible, so you can take out cover for the exact period you are away. Typically you can choose from policies lasting three, six, nine or twelve months; you can alway extend your cover, too, should the property be left unoccupied for longer than originally thought.

What else do I need to consider?

You may need to take out a specialist policy for your unoccupied property insurance if your home is a listed building, has a thatched roof, or is in any way ‘non-standard’; if you think this may apply to you and your property, call Mastercover today on 0800 731 3378 and we’ll walk you through the options and policies available.

The price you pay for your unoccupied home insurance depends on many different factors such as the location, its value, its history and also its general condition. Many insurers will not insure a house that is run down or dilapidated, so make sure that you have good security measures in place before you leave. You’ll usually be required to remove all valuables from the property, as well as drain the water system and turn off all utilities. You may also be asked to carry out regular inspections of the property, too, in order to keep your policy valid.